Paying Tuition and Other Costs

†Regardless of which college or career school you choose, you'll probably need help paying for your tuition, fees, books, and living expenses. You're probably wondering how you're going to pay for these things. The Department of Education offers a variety of student financial aid programs, if you qualify.

Federal student aid includes grants, work-study, and loans. You don't have to pay back grants. Work-study allows you to earn money for your education, and loans allow you to borrow money for school. You'll have to repay any money you borrow. 

State programs may be another option.  By contacting your state department of education, you can learn about other programs.  Additionally, by checking with your high school counselor or the college you want to attend you may get other ideas. 

You also might consider search the Internet using search phrases as "financial aid," "student aid," "college grant," "minority grant," or "scholarships." Click here for more search engine keywords.  Or, check the reference section of your local library under those same phrases.

Many private scholarship search services provide lists of sources of financial assistance for which you may apply.  If you decide to use one of these services, you may check its reputation by contacting the Better Business Bureau or a state attorney general's office.

Be careful when searching for information on student financial assistance. Make sure information and offers are legitimate. Donít fall prey to fraud.

To file a complaint or for free information call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) or visit

If you have any questions or comments, contact us.

Home College Selection Housing Paying Tuition/Other Costs Applying for Finantial Aid Eligibility Criteria Federal Pell Grants Campus-based Aid Programs Low Interest Loans Stafford Loans PLUSS Loans (Parent Loans) Loan Faq State Agency Phone Numbers Contact Us